Manu Forti: A History of the Herefordshire Regiment 1860-1967 - T. J. B HillStroud: Alan Sutton, 1996, Hardback in Dust Wrapper.
Condition: Very Good — in Very Good Dust Wrapper. A little rubbing to the edges of the dust wrapper. Top edge of the text block tanned.
Includes: Battle honours; Plans of battle; Black & white photographs; Maps; Roll of honour; Appendices (5);
From the cover: “When the 1st Battalion the Herefordshire Light Infantry was amalgamated with the Shropshire Light Infantry to form the Light Infantry Volunteers in 1967, for the first time in more than one hundred years the name of Herefordshire no longer graced the roll call of English county regiments.
The 36th Regiment of Foot was raised in 1782 as a regular regiment. It was later associated with Herefordshire for recruiting purposes and was merged with the Worcestershire Regiment in 1881. The continuous lineage of The Volunteer Herefordshire Regiment starts in 1860 when eight Volunteer Rifle Corps were raised in the county, and three in Radnorshire, which were then joined to become the 1st Administrative Battalion Herefordshire Rifle Volunteers. At the turn of the century, Volunteer Service elements of the Herefords saw service with the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry in South Africa during the Boer War of 1900-2.
During the First World War the Herefordshire Regiment served with distinction, taking part in the landings at Suvla Bay, Gallipoli, in 1915; in Egypt and Palestine between 1916 and 1917 where it fought in the Battle of Tel Asur; and on the Western Front in 1918 where it was actively involved in repulsing the Germans in the allies’ vigorous counter-offensive of July.
The inter-war period came as something of an anti-climax for the regiment, but with the outbreak of the Second World War both battalions were mobilised with the 1st Battalion concentrated in Northern Ireland as part of 53 Infantry Division, and the 2nd Battalion on home defence duties. With the approach of Operation ‘Overlord’, the 1st Battalion became part of the 11th Armoured Division and landed on the Normandy beaches on D-Day plus 7, from where it fought on through France — including the actions at Borguebus Ridge and Falaise — into Belgium and Holland, and eventually into northern Germany for the final debacle.
In the post-war Territorial Army re-organisation of 1947, the Herefords were re-formed as the 1st Battalion the Herefordshire Light Infantry, part of the Light Infantry Group which then became the Light Infantry Brigade in 1951. With further rationalisation of the TA, leading to the amalgamation of regiments, today’s successor to the Herefordshire Regiment is the 5th Battalion the Light Infantry (Volunteers), with a rifle company and support elements in the county of Hereford.
Manu Forti is the full history of one of England’s most famous county regiments written by a one-time commanding officer of the 1 st Battalion the Herefordshire Light Infantry.
A selection of rare photographs and maps supports the comprehensive text, which is complemented by detailed appendices including a full roll of honour. Manu Forti will appeal to all members of the Herefords past and present, and to military historians and enthusiasts.”