The Book of Evesham: The Story of the Town's Past - Benjamin G. (Gwynne) CoxChesham: Barracuda Books Limited, 1977, Hardback in Dust Wrapper.
Condition: Very Good — in Good Dust Wrapper. Dust wrapper faded at the spine and onto the margins of the panels.
Signed by the author on the title page — unverified and reflected as such in the lack of premium. Contains: List of subscribers; Black & white photographs; Facsimiles; Maps; Frontispiece; Photographic end papers & blanks; Vignette to the half-title page;
From the cover: “It may be over 40,000 years ago that man first looked down on what later became the town of Evesham, but it is certain that it was 4,000 years ago that his successor left his hand axe here — in Bridge Street. The Romans knew the Vale if not the town site, the Celts lived and traded in the area, but it was the Saxons who created Evesham itself, by founding the great abbey at the turn of the 7th and 8th centuries.
Legend and supposition have blurred its origins, but the abbey dominated the entire district by the time the Normans arrived, and by 1230 its days were regularly chronicled. It flourished until the evening of Friday, 30 January, 1540 when the King’s men burst in at evensong and closed it down. A monk wrote that moment of truth down on his Bible. The Bible survives to this day.
The abbey does not — it became a quarry for other builders. The town had earlier become the graveyard of one of England’s heroes — Simon de Montfort. He lost his life, his son and his cause at Evesham one fine day in 1265, at the hands of a Royalist army. The Royal role was reversed 380 years later when the King’s garrison heroically but unsuccessfully defended the town against Massey’s Parliamentarians.
If the barons, the battles, the kings and the Christian presence made their mark on Evesham, it was the landholders, the merchants and the ordinary people of the town who created the Evesham of today. For Evesham became an early marketplace, a borough and a centre of justice.
The Book of Evesham tells the story of this place, of the Hobys, Rudges, Burlinghams, the boys of Evesham who challenged the Queen’s steward, the ‘Grubber’, the nailers, Jonathan Hull and Francis Bernard! — father of the market garden. It tells it concisely in the words of the town’s leading historian, whose family association with Evesham spans 150 years. He has added some 200 illustrations to make the book as visually exciting as it is informative.”