From Settlement to City: A History of the District of Tea Tree Gully, 1836-1976 - Ian AuhlBlackwood: Lynton Publications, 1976, Hardback in Dust Wrapper.
Condition: Very Good — in Good+ Dust Wrapper. A little rubbing to the edges of the dust wrapper, more heavily at the spine ends. Text complete, clean and tight.
Contains: Black & white photographs; Maps; Tables; Appendices ;
From the cover: “The name Teatree Gully, originally given to a steep gully entering the north-east face of the Adelaide Hills where the native ‘tea-tree’ grew abundantly, was later applied to the little township of Steventon which began to develop at the entrance to the gully in 1854.
The name was subsequently given to the local range of hills and then to the surrounding district. In 1858 the name was applied for the first time to the local government area of some thirty-four square miles and, in 1935, to the amalgamation of two district council areas — a district of nearly fifty square miles.
In February of 1968, the District of Tea Tree Gully was officially proclaimed as the City of Tea Tree Gully.
Within the previous ten years much of the rural area, with its orchards, vineyards, hay-paddocks and dairy-farms set on the rising slopes and supporting a population of less than 3,000 people had been invaded by an expanding suburbia. The population had increased dramatically to some 27,000 and was heading towards its present 60,000. The old townships of Hope Valley, Modbury and Tea Tree Gully had begun to lose their identity and to become submerged in the proliferation of residential subdivision.
In this history of the district of Tea Tree Gully, commissioned by the present (1975/ 1976) Corporation, the author has traced the main outlines of the occupation and settlement of the district and the growth of its seven early villages and townships — Houghton, Hope Valley, Highbury, Tea Tree Gully, Modbury, Golden Grove and Ingle-wood. He has also included the story of local government in the area since its beginnings in 1853 and has added a brief summary of the growth of the recently proclaimed City of Tea Tree Gully.”